The book: Zen Mamas
The author: Teresa Palmer and Sarah Wright Olsen
Sarah Wright Olsen and Teresa Palmer are the founders of the internationally popular blog Your Zen Mama. It’s an online destination for parents that offers clear, reassuring and inspiring advice on every step of the parenting journey.
The mother of three, Bodhi, Forest and Poet, and stepmother to Isaac, Teresa runs the plant-based wellness brand, Lovewell. Currently starring in A Discovery of Witches, she’s also starred in films, including Hacksaw Ridge and Ride Like a Girl, the biopic of trailblazing Melbourne Cup winner Michelle Payne.
Sarah is a mother of two, Esmé and Wyatt. An actor living in Los Angeles, Sarah has starred in many TV shows and movies including Mad Men, Parks and Recreation, The House Bunny and American Made. She’s also the co-owner of a plant-based organic mummy/baby skincare line, bāeo.
Teresa and Sarah bring you Zen Mamas. An extremely candid and practical guide on remaining Zen(ish!) while embracing motherhood.
With six kids between them, Teresa and Sarah draw on their own experiences to encourage their readers to find their version of peace and balance as a parent – ‘the Zen’. All the while, accepting the inevitable mayhem that comes with parenthood.
In addition to their knowledge and stories, Zen Mamas offers a wealth of extremely valuable information from doctors, midwives, clinical nutritionists, fertility specialists and doulas on:
• Dealing with the innate anxiety of being the perfect mother and the importance of letting go of perfectionist ideals;
• The challenges and hardships that can come from pregnancy. Some include fertility issues, pregnancy loss, complicated labour, postpartum depression and anxiety;
• Nutrition including diet, vitamin and supplement tips;
• Figuring out the type of parent you want to be and how to draw the most from the experience;
• Useful tools and resources such as pregnancy support groups, websites, books and podcast recommendations;
• Insights on finding your joy and balance post-baby; investing time in your relationship with your partner and reconnecting with your mind and body.
Through the good, the bad and the not-so-pretty, Zen Mamas is a beautifully honest guide for the journey that is motherhood.
There are nearly 300 pages of goodness wrapped up in Zen Mamas. The book takes an in-depth and eloquent look into pregnancy, birth, postpartum and parenthood. It’s practical with plenty of tips from medical professions as well as a useful resource guide for expecting and new parents. However, this book stands out from the many other similar books on the market as Teresa and Sarah share their personal experiences, tips and thoughts. Zen Notes (love!) at the end of each chapter make this book a must-read for all mamas, and those considering the journey.
Where to buy it: Zen Mamas $19